Ms. Sarah Henzel is a brunette, long haired bombshell that is seriously out here changing the game. She's not afraid to speak her mind, making every effort to break down stereotypes and be herself in and out of fashion, as well. Her fearlessness, bold style, rugged-diva essence, and magnetic personality makes her truly one of a kind. If it's on a rainy day or finals week, you can always catch this babe in Muse Clothing or out struttin' it being a badass.
This is Sarah, our Muse...
1. Tell us a little about yourself? Where are you from?
Well, my name is Sarah Henzel. I’m from Columbia, Missouri and attended both Christian Fellowship and Rock Bridge High. I’m a student at Mizzou, majoring in Broadcast Journalism. Although I’m studying Journalism, I've always really been into theatre and super into acting.
I've always loved to write stories and just art, in general. It’s seriously so therapeutic and I just love it! *flips hair over shoulders. I mean, style and fashion are pretty rad too. Let’s see, what else? Snowboarding is so rad...so sick! People always think that I’m a pretty girl, but I definitely don’t mind being outdoors, *flips hair over shoulder. I’m super outdoorsy and most people just don’t expect it. I love being outside in nature, hiking, and camping. People misinterpret me for being just a girl that loves fashion and a “pretty girl” that loves to shop and do girly things. Well, I do love those things, but I love so many other things, as well. Well….my Dad always says I know how to dress for the occasion.
2. How would you describe your personal style? Have you always loved to dress?
Every since I was a little girl I wore nothing but dresses. My mom would only dress me in dresses and I loved it. Now I couldn't even tell you the last time I wore jeans. Dresses, tights, and tops I never mind, but just anything to stay away from jeans.
Growing up, I always wanted to be like my sister, which included dressing like her. I honestly wanted to be her! I went through serious phases with the Hollister phase, #icant, to making school uniforms into my own. I also went through a phase were I was extremely Emo. Yes, teasing the hair, rocking band T-Shirts, and dark makeup.
Once that ended, my style transformed and evolved into what it is today. Like this is so me right now! I have two different sides to my style, I would say. I guess people see me as “Sarah, you’re such a hipster,” but I wouldn't put a label on it. I love my vintage/edge and street rocker style. I simply just love the way that clothing makes me feel and I like to dress the way I feel. Like this “Aint No Wifey” hat and leather skirt that I’m wearing from Muse is my favorite, but I’ll also switch it up. I dress for me and want to encourage others to do the same.
3. Talk to us about your amazing collection of clothing? I've had a job since I was 14 and never been into big brands. I wear things because I like it and it makes me happy. I've always loved Thrift- shopping and know the value of thrift-shopping. That top or jacket that’s 75 dollars in the store, I know I can find that in the thrift store for 5 bucks. I love a good sale and getting great deals. One of my favorite places to shop is the Goodwill Outlet in St. Louis. When they dump a new load out to pick through, I get so excited and so happy. It’s like I’m digging for treasure. I love thrifting and so many of my clothes come from thrifting.
I also got to work in retail for about 4 years at PacSun. Working there, I learned the value of clothing and to appreciate it. Like, I definitely don’t mind getting statement pieces here and there. Splurging on this skirt at Muse was a thing, but it is very rare I do those things. It was my birthday, so I thought a splurge on a statement piece was okay!
I’m the only one in my family that dresses the way I do. My sister is a huge fan of the Gap and J. Crew, but I know I could never wear those things. Even though I know I couldn't wear those things, that doesn't mean that those types of clothes aren't great. I think it’s cool that you can wear that and look good. It’s all about expressing yourself and feeling comfortable. Everyone has their own style and I think that people should dress for them.
4. Anything upcoming, career aspirations?
I wish I could answer that. For me, being in Fashion and TAM (Textile and Apparel Management) major would be awesome, but style is just for me. I personally love it, but having it as a job is not for me. It’s personal! I dress for myself, go buy what looks good, but could never see it as my career.
I want to be working the camera, “Behind the Lens.” I love talking with people and hearing their stories. It’s so interesting and I just love watching the story unfold. Crazy stories…whatever…..I love to hear em’ all and tell people about them. I think it’s so interesting that everyone in the world has a story! I would love to travel as a Travel Correspondent, learn about what’s going on in our world, and share those stories with everyone. Bringing light to issues that people don’t know about can break stereotypes and break barriers.
5. Why do you love Muse Clothing so much?
I’m seriously always here! When I study next door on my study break, I’ll make an excuse to come on over and shop! Shopping here is awesome, Nickie is so great, and I just always love to hangout here! Muse is the missing element that Columbia lacked. I didn't feel like there was a place for “Me” to shop! I remember I went to look for a beanie in a store downtown and the girls looked at me and they had no clue what I was talking about.
For me…I don’t know why I have an emotional attachment! I always feel like I want to come in and say hi. I ultimately want to see Muse succeed. Just the family environment that Muse creates, the people that work here, and just everything about Muse is great! You all hang out with your customers and create such a great atmosphere for everyone. If I splurge on something, I want to get it from Muse.
6. What’s your favorite purchase from Muse? My favorite purchase from Muse would have to be this Lip Service Cult Skirt I’m wearing! I’m obsessed! I came into Muse to find something for my birthday, which Nickie was here to help. Tried on the Lip Service Skirt, turned it backwards because I loved the zipper in the front, and fell in love! It just feels badass and is amazing with Dr. Martens. So rad! Dr. Martens are my favorite! I probably wear them 75 percent of the time.
7. What are your Muses? Blogs, People, Etc. Related to Fashion? I love to create my own thing and don’t necessarily look to people for inspiration. I definitely appreciate many people for being them! Taylor Mosen is so badass. She goes from this pale-blonde haired Gossip girl to ripped tights, all black clothing, and dark make-up. It’s just not typically what you would expect from her and I love that. I just respect her for who she is and I do my own thing! Sometimes you gotta just say fuck it! Be badass and embrace yourself!
We are so amazed by your fearlessness and badassness! You are amazing and thank you so much for sharing your story with us! Be the amazing badass that you are and keep on! We love you.
Check Sarah out @sarahhenzel and get inspired.